Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why Knitting Groups Rock: A Testimonial

Back in February I began a baby blanket for my assistant who is due in May. I had some serious Goldilocks issues with the blanket.

The first was too scratchy and heavy, but I loved the pattern. Then I bought lighter softer yarn, but it made the pattern too floppy, so I switched patterns and things were going ok, but it just wasn't right and it was very slow going.

So Monday night at my knitting group, my sassy knitting pal (we call him "the yarn whisperer) said with all kinds of sarcasm dripping from his voice: "There is this other craft, called crochet, and it works great for baby blankets!" I should mention he was crocheting a baby blanket as he said this.

Now I started out a crocheter and since learning to knit have hardly picked up a hook, but I knew crochet was great for blankets and had actually found a pattern. So last night I started in crochet and have already done more than the 6 weeks I spent waffling on the knitted version.

It is great to have a group of like-minded crafters in your life to give you the encouragement, warnings and ideas that good yarn-loving folks need.

I love how this is coming out, I love how the resulting material feels and at the rate I am crocheting I will be done in plenty of time for baby's arrival!

3 comments:

Amy said...

OH, this has some fantastic texture to it. Very nice. Personally, I am a person that refuses to knit blankets, I only crochet them. That way they are 2 sided and I don't have to worry about seaming or using giant circulars! Gotta love Jimmy!

Annmarie said...

Yeah, I love it. It feels beautiful, the perfect weight and texture for a newborn coming in to the world in May.

3goodrats said...

Hooray! Glad you found a solution. It looks great!