Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Knitting for Boys

I don't mean "Boys Knitting" as I have absolutely no problem with that (unlike the woman who accosted my friend Jimmy on the train one day and told him knitting was a woman's craft) I mean taking the time and effort to make a handmade item for the oafish sex.

Some men truly appreciate handmade items and treat them with the love and respect they deserve, others leave them on the floor of the bathroom wrapped in a wet towel until they smell like last week's old cheese.

I am going out on a limb and making a pair of socks for my brother. This was met with awe and confusion by my mother who asked very politely if I remembered what my brother was like. Now distance does make the heart grow fonder, but I know my brother is a big boorish brute of a man, but here's the thing: he asked. Nicely. He asked nicely and with sincere interest in my craft that I knit him a pair of socks for Christmas.

So, I have cast on:
and started a very simple, very wearable, very washable pair of socks for my brother. The yarn is Lambs Pride Super Wash so it is both washable and sturdy and warm. The colorway (which I love) is called Rootbeer.

It is a very simple 2X2 rib that looks ridiculously tiny, but has a nice stretch that looks natural and meant for an adult male foot.

I don't know how long these socks will grace the planet before they end up left by the side of some fishing pond, but my brother asked. Nicely. And I can't say no.

1 comment:

3goodrats said...

The "oafish sex" - I have to remember that :)

The sock looks great so far!