Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Holiday Knitting Part 1

My family has a tendency to overdo the holidays, seriously overdo. Every year we say we are going to cut back and every year it is a maelstrom of gifts to both give and receive. I love presents as much as anyone, but it does become quite stressful.

The economy is forcing us, as a nation, to scale back and I am going to try to do the same with gifts this year. As you know, a handmade gift is not often less expensive, but I feel it is a greater value for the money spent and it comes with a whole lot of heart.

This doesn't mean I won't be frantically purchasing fine-smelling body lotions and books, DVDs and adorable clothes for my little nieces, it just means that nearly everyone will be getting a handmade gift this year.

I began considering what I was going to make (I have only been knitting for 8 months, so my repertoire is limited) back in early summer and kept promising myself a spreadsheet of details: who, what item, do I have the pattern, yarn in the stash, needles, etc. Well last night I sat down and got as far as writing a list of names of people getting handmade gifts and while it was a small step towards my grand color-coded spreadsheet, it did make me feel better.

September is an amazing time to stop and regroup, buy new pencils and notebooks and start fresh. I hate the fall, everything dies after all, but having a good list of projects to work on will get me through those increasingly dark days until the twinkle of holiday lights start to brighten up the place.

No comments: