Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wrap and Turn Short Row Heel

So I have made a lot of progress on my nieces' Christmas stockings, unfortunately I have frogged most of it for little errors. These are going to be family heirlooms, I want them to be as close to perfect as a homemade item can be. :)

I have gotten to the Wrap & Turn Short Row Heel 3 times now, here is how it looks:


Looks pretty good right? It took me 3 times to get even close to right and luckily Donna in my knitting group gave me some helpful instruction. Despite that I still have this problem:



A hole, big enough for my thumb to fit through on one side (and only one side). I don't know what I could be doing wrong. I am tempted to try one more time and then if the hole is still there try to fix it with some fancy sewing after the whole thing is done.

Any advice?

4 comments:

ingrid said...

maybe the hole is a bit bigger on that side because you also swtiched colors right there? That happens to me and until I weave in the ends it looks funny.

3goodrats said...

I think that is just something that happens with short row heels. Maybe with practice - and when you are can tell you are at the "hole" spot before it happens - it can be avoided. I would just sew it up later.

Annmarie said...

Thanks ladies!

I think I am just going to sew it up and see what happens when I get to that point on the 2nd stocking...

ingrid said...

I just listened
to a podcast about short rows by Knitpicks and they had some good tips. I think when I start my socks I will listen along and do what they say.